Gardai lifting cars

Ashford actually smart arse . Hopped off a land rover defender . End result 1 twisted caddy and a dented bumper on the defender .

[quote author=blacktar link=topic=44218.msg510541#msg510541 date=1426189059]
The whole car tax system is in a heap. I'm taxin a Subaru now that's hardly ever used only odd weekends but that's the way it is.
[/quote]

I'm the same. I have my car taxed on the road for 3-6 months each year as I be that busy in winter that Id not get to drive it so no point taxing it for a run in it every 3 or 4 weeks. If it was cheaper I'd tax it for the year and take my beating, The VRT and Tax wont change I'm afraid ,we all agree its wrong but its a cash cow for the powers that be

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=44218.msg510537#msg510537 date=1426186688]
well the logic of the old tax system is pretty simple , people buy the car the best can afford to buy , ie young people buy 1 litre as they are on lower wages due to apprenticeships or just starting out in their career, the family man buys a slighty bigger car and in turn pays more tax to run his 2.0 litre car as hes earning a bit more than the young lad in his 1.0 but the boss has a 3.0 bmw because hes on the big money and its a status symbol above all else , to me thats a progressive tax system ,

the problem is when the young lad or family man sees the boss's new bmw and think id like one of them , i can afford the payements so fu*k it im buying one soon follows and before ya know it they have a 3.0 car that they cant run properly ie tax insure and maintenance , its the same with everything in this country , weather its a car or a house or whatever , thats why we had a property boom sure .

everyone complains that there is tax on everything and its excessive and yes there is truth to that but if people cut their cloth to measure a buy what they can afford to run instead of trying to scam their way around it and act the bigshot or keep up with them next door .

[/quote]

Tommy you seem to be looking at it in bit of a high and mighty way, which I'm suprised at tbh...
When we went looking for something to carry the kids in, something safe and robust... You very quickly are pushed towards the 2ltr and over mark. And being before 2008 then you have to stump up €700... And I assure you there is nothing luxurious or stuck up about a Hyundai Tucson ... People driving around in old passats and just normal run of the Mill diesel cars, back before there was low horsepower diesels available you had no choice if you wanted a diesel only to buy a 2ltr and over.
To be honest what you have wrote above comes across to me to be be grudging..
If someone is willing to go out and work and earn a few quid and want to threat themselves to something above the normal whether it is an STI or an m3 or 530... Just because they are able to buy it doesn't mean they should be subjected to extortionate road tax..

This is going on for years so it's nothing new, just the Government now turn their sights on it trying to get in every last penny and for what?? Our roads?? Irish water???

It's very surprising to see car enthusiasts who should well know how unfair the system is worrying too much about the Government loosing out on money... It's like worrying about the Robber that got robbed lol.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=44218.msg510561#msg510561 date=1426196826]
[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=44218.msg510537#msg510537 date=1426186688]
well the logic of the old tax system is pretty simple , people buy the car the best can afford to buy , ie young people buy 1 litre as they are on lower wages due to apprenticeships or just starting out in their career, the family man buys a slighty bigger car and in turn pays more tax to run his 2.0 litre car as hes earning a bit more than the young lad in his 1.0 but the boss has a 3.0 bmw because hes on the big money and its a status symbol above all else , to me thats a progressive tax system ,

the problem is when the young lad or family man sees the boss's new bmw and think id like one of them , i can afford the payements so fu*k it im buying one soon follows and before ya know it they have a 3.0 car that they cant run properly ie tax insure and maintenance , its the same with everything in this country , weather its a car or a house or whatever , thats why we had a property boom sure .

everyone complains that there is tax on everything and its excessive and yes there is truth to that but if people cut their cloth to measure a buy what they can afford to run instead of trying to scam their way around it and act the bigshot or keep up with them next door .

[/quote]

Tommy you seem to be looking at it in bit of a high and mighty way, which I'm suprised at tbh...
When we went looking for something to carry the kids in, something safe and robust... You very quickly are pushed towards the 2ltr and over mark. And being before 2008 then you have to stump up €700... And I assure you there is nothing luxurious or stuck up about a Hyundai Tucson ... People driving around in old passats and just normal run of the Mill diesel cars, back before there was low horsepower diesels available you had no choice if you wanted a diesel only to buy a 2ltr and over.
To be honest what you have wrote above comes across to me to be be grudging..
If someone is willing to go out and work and earn a few quid and want to threat themselves to something above the normal whether it is an STI or an m3 or 530... Just because they are able to buy it doesn't mean they should be subjected to extortionate road tax..

This is going on for years so it's nothing new, just the Government now turn their sights on it trying to get in every last penny and for what?? Our roads?? Irish water???

It's very surprising to see car enthusiasts who should well know how unfair the system is worrying too much about the Government loosing out on money... It's like worrying about the Robber that got robbed lol.
[/quote]

Well, unfortunately the biggest robber here is the government, and by scamming government, you are an outlaw, therefore you will pay for your misdeeds towards government(confiscated car, fees, prison, you name it), whether you like it or not. While I do not agree with Tommy 100% on his point of view, I know where he is coming from and it kinda makes sense, to certain degree. The tax divided like this is fine, but should be lowered by certain percentage in each tier. In UK for example, road(motor) tax for 2015 STI for a year is roughly £500, why do we have to pay for the same thing 2300yoyos, I have no idea....

Not meaning to come across as high and mighty or in a begrudging way ken . Just something I hear and see a lot of going on locally to myself .

Nor do I have issues with people having these m3 or the likes .

The issue that bugs me is people buying something knowing the cost is x amount and tax is x amount . How can someone honestly go out and buy something high up in the tax brackets and then decide they don't want to pay tax on it on principle.come on man its silly carry on . I know the tax system ain't fair the way it's set up and imo taxing fuel would be the fair way to accurately tax someone for their use of the road . It baffles me how my van is taxed for 12 months for 300 quid and covers 50 to 60 k a year and it's 1080 to tax the scooby for 12 months and 2k km .

put simply I knew my car was high on tax when I bought it so I live with that . So why can these gangsters get away under declaring there engine size to cheat the system .

Or at least that's my view on it .

Yeah I can understand your frustration when it comes to buying a new m3 or new x5... But look that e46 m3 in the picture could be got anywhere from 5-6k up, they are actually lighter than a scooby on fuel and dont really need any more maintenance than a normal car... So it's really in the grasp of purchasing and running right for anyone that has a job.... To turn around and tax it at what they are is criminal..

I don't think that you should have to pay 1200 for an impreza, you go out and work and it's your way of threating yourself...
look you would see more fraud in plain sight if go into any town and the Roma Gypsies are stuck in the welfare office and clinics... And nothing about it... But the lad with the car gets the shots lol

If they would just put the tax on the fuel then it's a fraud proof system, you can not escape it... The more you use the more you pay...
Look at the money that would be saved by no Tax disk system... Guards could focus on real work.... Millions would be saved on tax payers money as the state wouldn't have to bring people to court anymore....

We all could have 20 cars and use them as we please... Wishfull thinking maybe :)

I have a friend in Atlanta who drives a 8.1 litre pick up.
He was hopping mad that he was being asked to pay $80 registration for the year.
I told him I'm paying €710 for my 2 litre and he was just speechless, and was wondering how anyone was able to have a car on the road at all over here.
He said his wife got a new car, some kind of SUV, and she has to pay $200 because it is new.
I think the older the car gets in the US, the less road tax you pay.

Maybe that's what should be done here, base the tax on a combination of engine size, emissions and age..........?
There's probably too much tax on fuel as it is to add any more to it.

Only one thing will happen with motor tax in Ireland it will go up in price
petrol tax would solve everything but it's not gonna happen
Think in Germany you get taxed on bhp

In relation to the cars that have been taken off the trader in Dublin. I cant see any off them going to auction and being seized permanently. What will happen id reckon is that the cars will be put back to its original cc and the back tax along with a fine will probably have to be paid by the driver. I can't see it permitted that cars can be taken and not returned.

The most important thing about this whole situation is that these cars aren't insured correctly and if someone driving a car in this situation hits you they willn't be covered and you will have to deal with the Insurance Bureau.

[quote author=garry2682 link=topic=44218.msg510666#msg510666 date=1426287942]

The most important thing about this whole situation is that these cars aren't insured correctly and if someone driving a car in this situation hits you they willn't be covered and you will have to deal with the Insurance Bureau.
[/quote]

That's incorrect, their insurance will cover you, your the third party.
It will not cover the driver of the falsely declared car

Plus most were still insured correctly as 3L for the very reason of the insurance being void, which is also being used as a mean to catch people.

Any of these cars declared as 2L are dead in the water now, you can't touch them. If you buy one with the intention of redeclaring it correctly, you can't. They are now enforcing the small print on the back of the form where you have to put in the old engine details and get it stamped by a garage, and no garage is going to stamp a book without actually having done the work!

[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=44218.msg510680#msg510680 date=1426331127]
[quote author=garry2682 link=topic=44218.msg510666#msg510666 date=1426287942]

[/quote]

That's incorrect, their insurance will cover you, your the third party.
It will not cover the driver of the falsely declared car
[/quote]

So what you are saying is, that if I have declared different engine size in my car, I should not bother with full comprehensive, as my car is technically not insured, but only third party, as any other car in accident I cause, will be covered by that?

It somehow sounds too good to be true

If you have an m3, and go and get it taxed as a 2ltr... But you insure the car as an m3, why would the insurance be void?

If it's insured as an m3 then there would be no problem IMO

@zheiko that's a basic principle of insurance, the third party ( the person that the m3 crashes into) is always covered, even if the m3 driver is blind drunk, no licence, false tax disc.....

Yep that's what we all pay so much for, suppose to be an in insured driver fund we all pay for iirc..

Not entirely true lads. There's already precedent set here and in UK of insurers voiding policies after an accident and trying to pursue to driver for costs and then losing in court. One such thread is on here. Tax evasion/avoidance in none of your insurers business once the car is insured as what it is.

It'd be the same as having no tax in date.

[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=44218.msg510725#msg510725 date=1426347230]
If it's insured as an m3 then there would be no problem IMO

@zheiko that's a basic principle of insurance, the third party ( the person that the m3 crashes into) is always covered, even if the m3 driver is blind drunk, no licence, false tax disc.....
[/quote]

So that basically mean, I can mod the sh*t outta my car and not declare it, for as long as I am ok with loosing my car without getting anything back from insurance

A couple of lads that don't listen to the news obviously

Search for 'log book'

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379207.096971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379207.096971.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 27
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379222.678265.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379222.678265.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379207.096971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426379207.096971.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 27