Spotted this on DoneDeal Thread-No Bad Mouthing cars for sale is Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true about the damage hiding.
Wouldn't have even thought of that either. Honestly tho, I'd be like Gary, if it goes quick, stops quick and goes loud, I'm afraid I'd be like a child at Christmas and at the end of the day that inner child would get the better of me haha

"just take my card, here's my pin" ????????

Are the Type R different to drive over the same year 4 door? Extra features or...?

In fairness there a hard car to price for a few reasons really.

Top end of the market is the version 6 v limiteds when they have a full window and the right mods or bog standard.these are 18+ depending.

Bottom of the chain would be the version 3 with the old dash in any other color than blue. Depends on condition and nct and mods how much these go for.

Car above had no nct, this for me is criminal, why has it not is the question? Also this car has a UK spec front bumper with the light washers which doesn't match the grill on the car, there's a chance the rear spoiler is right but going by the grill it's no and imo that's why there's no pics of the front interior.

Could be a lovely car worth the money but I wouldn't be making a long drive to go see it without asking the sell the for the above answers

The bumper is UK spec, spoiler could be original as some V5 wore a 98 plate.

I think your a bit off on your valuation on the v6 limiteds, I was looking at one last week and it would of cost 25k or so landed in port... all the charges to follow and 4-5 k vrt.

That white type r isn?t badly priced if it?s in any way decent, rust free and has no heavy crash history.... they are all going to have had a tip, how big of a one is the thing.. you are looking at paying this minimum for one from Japan.

Plus at least it?s here can go and have a look at it and not buying it blind. So many have bought only to find cars need a lot of work on top of the expense of getting it registered

its for sale a while now

chalk and cheese to compare a white 2dr to a blue limited v5 or v6
id consider that white type r dear , it would want test and need nothing for that money

im fairly sure its a v4 also

its for sale a while now

chalk and cheese to compare a white 2dr to a blue limited v5 or v6
id consider that white type r dear , it would want test and need nothing for that money

im fairly sure its a v4 also

Can you bring me one in and vrt it for that money? I will need to drive it and see if engine, box and clutch are ok.

The bumper is UK spec, spoiler could be original as some V5 wore a 98 plate.

I think your a bit off on your valuation on the v6 limiteds, I was looking at one last week and it would of cost 25k or so landed in port... all the charges to follow and 4-5 k vrt.

That white type r isn?t badly priced if it?s in any way decent, rust free and has no heavy crash history.... they are all going to have had a tip, how big of a one is the thing.. you are looking at paying this minimum for one from Japan.

Fair point Ken but we're not talking about importing cars, people are only importing cars now that they can't get here and it's gone mental money to import them and then you have vrt and nct etc as you mentioned.

If there's a v 6 limited that's been in this country for 10 years and sitting in a garden with no nct and needing work, is that worth 30k the same as your new import, as I said it comes down to condition so my value of 18+ is spot on imo. What other type R's are worth 18 grand ATM needing work?

Last edited:
Problem is, lads are living in a bubble. They think they will pay X amount for their Jap import... and then thats it... but they dont factor in you are buying a car without seeing it, and going on someone elses view on its condition..

I brought in a car last year... last week I got a box of parts which cost 1k, all was in the box was clutch, timing belt kit, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, rocker cover gaskets, and few seals... general maintenance parts.... I still have to buy 4 tyres, Id like to put brake disks on it aswell, and get wheels refurbed. So Id say again Im done my fresh import will cost me close to 2k to get it all up to my satisfaction... 99% of what Im doing is needed.

So its worth baring this in mind when you are looking at an Irish car, that you can go and physically touch and see... if I was in the market for a white Type R I would definitely look at it, underside looks good in the pics Ive seen
I don’t think it’s accurate to say it’s over priced.. especially when you can’t get one cheaper

Last edited:
Whats the costs for buying a car after auction ?
initial price + 1k shipping
+ what fees ?
+ what transport to docks/Japan ?
then 33% duty or 23% ?
any other hidden charges to the docks here
vrt and nct after that before you do few bits and thats it ?
plan to do my self in march 2020
so would like to know final cost as best i can

Last edited:
Whats the costs for buying a car after auction ?
initial price + 1k shipping
+ what fees ?
+ what transport to docks/Japan ?
then 33% duty or 23% ?
any other hidden charges to the docks here
vrt and nct after that before you do few bits and thats it ?
plan to do my self in march 2020
so would like to know final cost as best i can

from my own experience back in the day buying direct

initial price plus 1k shipping
import agent at dublin port to handle paper work approx 250 from memory
10% import duty and 23% vat on purchase price plus shipping cost
VRT based on CO2 emissions info supplied by exporter
couple of ways to wangle a few pound off but its been a while since i have gone through the process

90% of cars i imported were mint however one grade 4 RX7 shat itself within 10 miles of the port, its the chance you take as Ken said above without inspecting the car yourself

Thanks Seanie
I be going older car so on the old VRT system I assume 33% or whatever the high rate is bye the co of them as usual and not the new rate
one thing not sure on
are all 2008 imports from japan on the new co2 rate or same as Ireland been a certain month re road tax band
as far as i can see any 2008 subaru imported ends up on 2350 tax but can some earlier months of 2008 still be on the old tax band here and if so is it build date or first registration date in japan
from what i can tell bye the initial document any 2008 import goes straight to new rate so that means 2007 max year you can bring in and tax at the old 2.0 tax rate :dontknow:

not sure about the january to june 2008 cars, i thought you had a choice of road tax band either CO2 or CC but could be old wives tale have no personal experience of it.
from my own experience all vrt rates are CO2 based even pre 08

yeah road tax is what i mean
from what i can tell
any 2008 is 2350 tax if imported from Japan rather than the old 2.0 tax rate
so makes only 2007 back on the old band if looking at bringing one in :cuckoo::dontknow:

Problem is, lads are living in a bubble. They think they will pay X amount for their Jap import... and then thats it... but they dont factor in you are buying a car without seeing it, and going on someone elses view on its condition..

I brought in a car last year... last week I got a box of parts which cost 1k, all was in the box was clutch, timing belt kit, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, rocker cover gaskets, and few seals... general maintenance parts.... I still have to buy 4 tyres, Id like to put brake disks on it aswell, and get wheels refurbed. So Id say again Im done my fresh import will cost me close to 2k to get it all up to my satisfaction... 99% of what Im doing is needed.

So its worth baring this in mind when you are looking at an Irish car, that you can go and physically touch and see... if I was in the market for a white Type R I would definitely look at it, underside looks good in the pics Ive seen
I don?t think it?s accurate to say it?s over priced.. especially when you can?t get one cheaper

sounds like you were just unlucky , you could get burnt with any impreza you buy , japan or here
importing is a risk and they key is to work out is the risk worth it and allow for these expenses

for example - it now costs 25k to have a mint v5 typre r limited on the road here, fresh import
with that budget theres no way id import , id view there small selection of fresh imports here and as you say drive them etc

but a 10 year imported type r limited will not command that price unless its been in a bubble since import as our climate and general attitude to minding them means that the chances of it been as fresh very slim

The white type r you are talking about you wont see many if any imported as they are not in demand here and are cheaper here than japan because of that , everybody wants a blue limited and thats all you ever really see at the port.

Last edited:
sounds like you were just unlucky , you could get burnt with any impreza you buy , japan or here
importing is a risk and they key is to work out is the risk worth it and allow for these expenses

for example - it now costs 25k to have a mint v5 typre r limited on the road here, fresh import
with that budget theres no way id import , id view there small selection of fresh imports here and as you say drive them etc

but a 10 year imported type r limited will not command that price unless its been in a bubble since import as our climate and general attitude to minding them means that the chances of it been as fresh very slim

The white type r you are talking about you wont see many if any imported as they are not in demand here and are cheaper here than japan because of that , everybody wants a blue limited and thats all you ever really see at the port.

Ah look i wouldnt say I was unlucky, I?d always factor in giving the import a once over, I would always allow for a clutch, timing belt and full service minimum....sometimes you can get lucky with clutch but definitely Id say 80-90% of cars I?ve imported either needed a clutch or I got a couple of months and then they needed it.. chances are tyres are needed aswell..

At this point in pricing I wouldnt mind buying a white Type R.... its just my opinion but with the blue Limiteds getting ridiculous on price, white will become the next best thing at a more affordable price to most.. but still probably 15k

That v6 v limited 2 weeks ago probably would have been a 35k car regd here

Defo need tyres they wouldn't be E marked at least never were on any jap car I imported, won't pass test

It's a long time since I brought one in but never E marked, not euro type approval may have changed since

It's a long time since I brought one in but never E marked, may have changed since

Winter tyres not a fail if 2 are fitted together on same axle, unless actual studded snow tyres. Half the country is going around on second hand winter tyres

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back